Proposed Bylaw Changes, Adopted 9/16/2017
BYLAW I MEETINGS:
A. Annual Meeting, No change.
1. Board Meetings, no change.
2. Membership Meeting A quorum for a general membership meeting shall be established with a participating and/or excused member count of greater than 20%.
BYLAW II OBJECTIVES: No change.
BYLAW III MEMBERSHIP
A. Eligibility No change.
B. Membership Year No change.
C. Dues and Convention Registration
1. The individual membership dues of the corperation shall be ten dollars ($10.00) above the annual dues of the American Council of the Blind.
2. (registration fee) No change.
D. Life Membership No change.
BYLAW IV BOARD OF DIRECTORS
A. Composition of the Board No Change.
B. Powers No change.
1. (Board members serving on committees) no change.
2. Budget committee, remove this section.
2. The board must meet at least three times between annual conventions.
Should it become necessary for an officer or board member of SDAB to resign before completing his or her elected term, he or she shall contact the president by letter or email. The president shall then notify the Board of Directors for formal acceptance of the resignation.
The president, with the knowledge of the Board of Directors, shall have the authority to appoint a replacement to serve until the next general membership meeting. Notification of the resignation as well as the subsequent appointment, shall be formally announced via SDAB’s newsletter, website, or at the next meeting of the Board of Directors or general membership.
BYLAW V Officers:
A. Officers The officers of this corperation shall be: president, first vice president, second vice president, secretary and treasurer.
The elected officers shall hold office for a term of two (2) years. Their terms shall begin immediately at the close of the annual meeting in which they are elected and will continue through the next two (2) annual meetings. In the case of a vacancy in any office, the president has the authority, with the approval of the Board of Directors, to appoint a successor until the next general membership meeting. If at that time, the term is unexpired, an election will be held to complete the term. In the case of a vacancy in the office of the president, the first vice president, second vice president, treasurer and the secretary shall fill the vacancy in that order.
1. (pertaining to Roberts Rules of order) no change.
2. It shall be the duty of the president to appoint all standing committee chairpersons and committee members within sixty (60) days after the close of the annual meeting, provided that such an appointee is an active member of the corporation. The president shall, with a majority affirmative vote of the Board of Directors, remove from committee membership any person who cannot or will not fulfill his or her duties.
3. (First vice president) no change.
4. It shall be the duty of the second vice president to serve as finance committee chairperson.
5. It shall be the duty of the secretary to prepare and distribute, within thirty (30) days, the minutes of all meetings. In addition, a summary of the minutes shall be published in the newsletter and on the website.
6. (Treasurer, last sentence) The treasurer shall be bonded if the total amount of assets exceeds sixty thousand dollars ($60,000.00).
D. (Elections) no change.
BYLAW VI STANDING COMMITTEES:
Unless otherwise provided, the president shall appoint the chairperson and members of the following committees, and each committee shall consist of not less than three (3) members: finance, resolutions/legislative, program/social, membership, nominating, amendments, publicity, scholarship/awards. The president shall have the power to appoint any other committees deemed necessary or helpful.
The president shall be an ex officio member of all committees.
A. the finance committee shall consist of the second vice president who shall serve as chairperson, first vice president, secretary, treasurer, two (2) board members, and one (1) other SDAB member. The function of this committee shall be to develop an annual budget, to oversee expenditures of that budget, to implement fund raising activities for the corporation,and to approve expenditures of funds in excess of budgeted amounts.
B. The resolutions/legislative committee shall frame resolutions which shall be read at the closing meeting of the corporation. The chairperson of this committee shall be a member of the Board of Directors when feasible. The members of the corporation shall submit resolutions in writing to the committee to facilitate its work. This shall not prevent resolutions from being presented from the floor. This committee shall inform the membership of legislative issues, support or oppose legislation, and draft and present legislation for the corporation subject to the approval of the Board of Directors.
C. the program/social committee shall consist of the first vice president who shall serve as chairperson of the committee and at least two (2) other members. The function of this committee shall be to make all arrangements for the program, banquet and entertainment for the annual convention.
D. The membership committee shall solicit and maintain a list of members in good standing. The chairperson’s responsibilities shall include sending annual membership and convention registration forms to all perspective members and submitting a list of all members to the treasurer for payment of the annual dues to the American Council of the Blind. All dues collected shall be transmitted to the treasurer for deposit.
E. The nominating committee, no change.
F. The amendments committee, no change.
G. The publicity committee) no change.
H. The scholarship/awards committee shall develop, maintain and promote any approved scholarships or monetary stipends available through the corporation. The committee shall also solicit recipients for any appropriate awards or recognition, prepare such awards or recognition, and present these at the annual convention.
BYLAW VII FISCAL POLICIES:
EliminateF. No compensation shall be given to any member for attendance at any annual meeting.
G becomes F.
BYLAW VIII AFFILIATION: No Change.
BYLAW IX LOCAL CHAPTERS:
7. Local chapters of the South Dakota Association of the Blind Inc. may collect from each chapter member annual dues to the SDAB of ten dollars ($10.00) above the annual dues of the American Council of the Blind. The dues shall be payable to the treasurer of SDAB by March 15. Local chapters shall not charge additional dues for chapter membership above the amount for membership in SDAB.
BYLAW X AMENDMENTS: These bylaws may be amended by a two-thirds (2/3) majority vote of the assembled voting body at any annual meeting of the corporation, provided any proposed amendment has been distributed in writing and read one time before the convention business meeting. Any amendment adopted shall become effective immediately.
BYLAW XI DISSOLUTION: Should it become necessary for the members of this corporation to dissolve corporate status, after providing for the debts and obligations of the corporation, all properties and assets shall be transferred to the American Council of the blind. At that time, the board of Directors shall make a recommendation of dissolution to the general membership. The dissolution shall become effective with a two-thirds (2/3) majority vote.